Sunday, December 28, 2008

Best of 2008 (Movies, of course)

So here it is. Not that you've been waiting for it, but all the same, it is here. I have officially compiled a list of my top 10 favorite films of 2008. Without further ado:

(The ones that hyperlink to my full reviews will not, clearly, have anything written about them here. Because that would be redundant. Redundant...redundant.) (I'm sorry.)
  1. Slumdog Millionaire
  2. The Dark Knight
  3. Wall*E
  4. Hellboy 2 - There's a great story behind Del Toro's involvement with this franchise as it relates to Pan's Labyrinth. I won't bore you with the details. Suffice it to say that the first Hellboy was kind of fun, but ultimately forgettable, and this one is a strange, funny, beautiful and moving story that follows the same characters and displays far greater maturity and depth.
  5. Son of Rambow
  6. The Fall
  7. Iron Man - I somehow failed to review this one. I think that when it came out, I wasn't in the habit of posting reviews to this blog. Ah well. I don't think I need to say much about it. It was fantastic, as most of you already know. In no way does it need my endorsement or explanation. If you haven't seen it, you should probably go fix that right away.
  8. Cloverfield - There's so much to say about this movie. From a purely academic standpoint, it was easily one of the most important movies to come out this year. A lot of people hated it. A lot of people (including, obviously, myself) adored it. That's reason enough to take a serious look.
  9. Penelope - This is that one about that girl who's born with a pig nose. I know. There was no way I was going to see this film. And, oh yeah, Christina Ricci was starring. How could I have been duped into this one? Sometimes I'm wrong. And sometimes it takes a happy accident for me to realize it. A couple of good friends (girls, both) were going to see it--for a dollar--so I thought...why not? And I was so, so pleasantly surprised. The cinematography, editing, and writing were all so much better than I could have expected, even if I had been expecting to enjoy it. I really believe that this is one of the hidden gems of this year.
  10. Get Smart
This post is already certainly long enough. But I would feel remiss if I didn't mention the films that almost made it onto this list. Here goes: (in no particular order) The Incredible Hulk, Quantum of Solace, Speed Racer (I'm serious. Yes, really. Stop it.), The Band's Visit, Be Kind Rewind, Ghost Town.

And that's all! Tune in next year for...well, probably more of the same.

*Revision (kind of): I realize, suddenly, shamefully, that
The Fall was not, in very fact, released in 2008. No, it was released in (and this is something that I swear I knew) 2006. I saw it this year for the first time, is the thing... Ugh.

3 comments:

  1. 1. Haven't seen Slumdog Millionare. I'll have to add that one to my list.

    2. Good list. I approve (if that means anything at all to you.) Dark Knight and Wall-E were utterly brilliant. Who'da thought that a movie about a lovesick robot would make me believe in romance again?!

    3. Bless you for not including that vam-dampire movie anywhere close to this list. I was coerced into taking my 12 year old cousin and was even more unimpressed by the filming than I was by the story. Rancid.

    4. Penelope! I agree. The hidden gem of the year. Though I might also add Miss Pettigrew Lives For a Day to the hidden gem list - Amy Adams is just THAT charming. I was utterly delighted by that movie.

    5. I'd also give a small nod to Australia. The storytelling certainly could have been more concise, but it had lots of heart and was completely gorgeous. And I want to take that boy home with me.

    6. . . . um. . . nevermind. I think that's everything. Good list! And. . . we still need to hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked Penelope. I was skeptical when my friends told me I was to accompany them to a story about a pig-nosed girl who finds true love. But I adored it. And then we went to see it again.

    I watched Speed Racer on my long plane ride and enjoyed it immensely. I bet it would be even better on a screen bigger than six inches.

    And I have to agree with Joni. Wall-E is the most romantic thing I've seen in a long time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen a whopping four of those sixteen movies.
    Those four were very good.
    But I'm not commending the whole list until I've seen the whole list.

    Thank you for not listing Kung-fu Panda too.

    ReplyDelete