Wednesday, October 1, 2008

"I fell..."

Last night, as I was walking down the long flight of stairs on my trip back home from campus, I took quite a spill. Just one of those foot-too-far slips that brings you down onto the hard, hard concrete. I'm fine. The skin of my forearm took all of the weight as I came down, so all I've got to show for falling down stairs yesterday is a pretty awesome, deep six-inch scrape between my wrist and my elbow. It'll be a sweet scar.

I was on my way home, but not home home, since I was actually on my way to my neighbor's to watch a film called The Fall. Yes yes, I know, soooo ironic--you're very clever for thinking, "Hey, you fell on your way to see a movie called The Fall!" I'm so impressed by your cleverness.

This post isn't about me falling. It's about THE Fall, a magnificently stunning film that I've now seen twice within the space of approximately four days.

First of all: See this film. See it because it's beautiful; see it because it's heartbreaking; see it because it's sweet, funny, moving, and epic. But, most of all, see it because there will never be another film like it. Ever.

The Fall was filmed in about 18 different countries over a period of around four years. None of the locations were altered or enhanced by CGI effects--they are all completely real. The places you will see in this film actually exist. They are awe-inspiring, breathtaking, unbelievable, and you will never forget the journey.

The story: A five year old girl with a broken arm meets a man in his twenties with a broken back. They're both in the hospital, waiting to be well again. Which, for her, means having her arm healed, and, for him, is less certain, since he will likely never walk again.

When she meets him, he offers to tell her an epic story. She, a bottomlessly curious and imaginative little girl, accepts immediately. As he tells the story, we see what she sees in her mind: beauty beyond words.

The actual themes and story of this film are quite good, but not life-changingly so. The film's final strength lies in the delicate, dazzling visual feast, the near perfect score and sound design, and the fact that the story, characters and dialog never once distract by not being good enough. They are all good enough to allow the audience to become fully immersed in the fantasy and glory of the true strengths.

I should also mention that Alexandria is possibly the most enchanting little person I've ever seen on screen. She is perfect. Lee Pace is very, very good as the charming but depressed Roy, but Alexandria steals every frame she's in.

One more time: See this film. It is rated 'R,' but for no good reason. You'll see some blood, but nothing you haven't seen in a hundred comic book movies. This particular movie would have been the best example all year of what a PG-13 film ought to look like. But such is our ratings system.

And finally, here is a link to the trailer. Be sure to watch it in HD if you can. 480p is usually safe.

4 comments:

  1. Yes my friend yes! You said it a thousand times better than I ever could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop peer-pressuring me into watching an R-rated movie. But keep pressuring me. Me likey your bloggy--the half I read. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang it! It looks fantastic! I'm mad I missed it.

    Sorry about your fall. Though, it is nice, twisted bit of irony. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant. You really should write more.

    ReplyDelete