Sunday, July 20, 2008

The Batman

What can I say that hasn't already been said? If you've read more than one review for The Dark Knight, then you'll have heard that it's far and away the greatest Batman movie ever made. You'll also have heard that it's one of the best crime dramas ever filmed, and that it's probably going to be easily identified as the best blockbuster 2008 has to offer, which is quite a statement next to films like Iron Man and WALL-E.

All of those things are true. The Dark Knight was one of the most complex, moving, powerful films I've ever seen. It was difficult in a way that no other comic book movie and few movies of any other genre have ever been, and far more rewarding because of it. If I was a crier, I would have wept for the pain and beauty of it all.

The Joker. Again, what new thing can I say? Heath Ledger's death was universally tragic because he was probably the most gifted and dedicated actor of my generation. I'll just tell you that his Joker is not a character. He is an overwhelming and unstoppable force of evil and chaos. Heath Ledger virtually disappeared behind the hideous makeup and a performance that will without question go down as one of the most riveting and revolutionary ever meted out on film. My greatest personal compliment is that he succeeded in making me fearful of his appearances on screen. You don't like this villain. He's entertaining…sort of. More, he's horrifying. Every time he stumbled into view, I cringed at what he might do, which was always unpredictable, and always terrible.

And Batman was always, always several steps behind him. Iron Man satisfied the desire to see a superhero kick butt. The Dark Knight does not. I won't give anything away, but no one is safe. Batman won't die, this we can rely on. Beyond that…the stakes have never been higher. This film will surprise you over and over and over again. There is no great twist at the end because the entire movie is comprised of twists and surprises—some of them, mercifully, quite wonderful. And, of course, some of them not.

I loved this film. I knew I would, but I couldn't know how very MUCH I would. The hype and anticipation were as high as they could possibly be. If this film had been anything less than spectacular, I would have been furious. But it's not. It's more.

I saw it in IMAX—it was worth it. But I'm going to see it again this week. Probably on Thursday, when I don't have work. I need to see this film again. The first time through, it exhausted me. I had to hang on for life as the story progressed and, when it was over, I had probably comprehended barely over half of the film. Only after the second run will I be able to feel I've seen the whole thing.

In summary, hyperbole ceases to have a definition in the context of films like this. No praise is too high, and my praises are not high enough. Thus, I am, in the end, left without words to describe my love for The Dark Knight.

3 comments:

  1. Jordan,
    You really get into movies huh? That's so cool! I think everyone needs to have a passion in their lives and you definitely do. I really have to go see this movie. Especially after reading your review. I look forward to other reviews. Thanks for sharing your insights. I think it would be so cool to see this movie in the IMAX. I need to get on the ball here. I think I'm just barely going to watch Wall-e this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's some recommendation!
    Guess I'll have to see it.
    Of course, if I'm not absolutely blown out of my seat from the experience, you will have lost all credibility. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must fully agree with you about everything you said about this movie. It truly was a work or art basically. It wouldn't let you take a breath to try and keep up with everything that was going on. It was spectacular and couldn't have been done any better than how it was done. I watch the original version just before I went to see the new one, and I wouldn't have wanted it to be like the original. I loved it the way it was and I can't wait to go see it again.

    ReplyDelete