Sunday, February 27, 2011

Quiet Dignity

For the past four years (ish), I've been wanting to start a comedy group. Not an improv group or any kind of performance thing--more of a YouTube comedy thing, though that specificity didn't float to the top until the desire had been incubating in my soul for a few years.

I tried, a couple of times, to pull a few people together. But the effort was always drowned in more important things. And of course laziness gets in the way. And procrastination. Looking back, starting something like that when I first thought of it would have been impossible for me, at my then-levels of experience, work-ethic, and social connections. But still I dreamed.

I was about to continue this story, and then I realized how boring it was getting. So fast forward to a few months ago, when I finally sent the fateful email to a select number of people, and we got to work. I realized that if I didn't put some serious effort into this dream of mine, surrounded as I am by incredibly funny and talented people, and resources everywhere...well, I'd kill myself. Because what a waste. 

The name "Quiet Dignity" was John Forbyn's lasting contribution to the group, before he left due to a crippling shortage of time. I still think the name of the group is perfect. We've lost a couple people, gained a few others. We're trying to film stuff as often as every weekend, but that ends up being every other week if we're lucky. 

Anyway, we went live with the YouTube channel almost two weeks ago. We'll be updating it regularly. Go us. 

Here's the weird part (you didn't know there was a weird part, but now you do)--once you really try to start something like this, you become very familiar with the "industry" you're getting into. One of the MVPs of our group is also involved in another, very similar group, and they're better organized, better connected, and have a little bit more time for it. We're trying not to compete, and we shouldn't REALLY need to, but...c'mon. It's a little weird. It feels a little like a competition. What will differentiate between the two channels? Will either suffer because of the other? 

It won't matter much in the long run. Mostly I think it's awesome to find out I'm surrounded by like-minded people. It's SO awesome that stuff like this (and this, and this) is coming out of Provo, Utah. 

There's a joke in this post, by the way. The joke is that it is quite dull, and it's all about a really bizarre comedy channel on YouTube. 

Ha. 

3 comments:

  1. You missed this www.youtube.com/urbanmediashow since June 2010 actually since Jan 2009 but nobody has seen those episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doritos Bible was great. How can I get in on these? Are you allowing guest appearances?

    ReplyDelete