Thursday, February 24, 2011

407 Days

I see at least two possible perspectives:
  1. I have successfully avoided blogging for four hundred and seven days, thereby curing myself of a terrible habit, and now I'm coming back to the activity on my own terms in a healthy, sustained way.
  2. Like so many "bloggers," I simply gave up on blogging for over a year. Mostly due to laziness.
Adopting the first one seems dishonest, so why not split the difference? If you ask "how" I'll tell you not to bother me with the details.

Moving on.

Why am I back, then, blogging? Blogging. What a word. Is there a person alive who isn't a little (at least just a little) embarrassed by that term, by it's connotation? There are work-arounds, of course: "I'm updating my website" ... "I'm working with social media" ... "I'm tailoring my online image" ... "I'm trying to stay connected to my friends and family" ...

Well, I'm not doing any of those things. I'm blogging. I'm here to blog. I'm conscious of the fact that much of my motivation for this is a sincere belief that there are people out there who actually want to hear what I have to say more often than they see me in real life. I'm aware of the narcissistic nature of this whole enterprise.

It doesn't bother me. At least not right now. Once in a while I want to ramble with a keyboard, and this is the perfect way to do it. And once in a while people tell me, "Hey, I read your blog," and guess what? That feels awesome.

I'll try to at least be consistent about updating. I promise never more than once a day, because that can be incredibly irritating.

And one last thing: please comment. Anything really. Just type out a thing and hit "comment." It's just so cool to have comments. You know.

10 comments:

  1. I can leave an honest comment saying that you make me laugh. So if you have nothing else going for you (although I'm not saying that is the case), you've got your sense of humor. Who doesn't want to laugh? So kudos for that my friend, kudos for that. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. SINCE YOU ASKED.

    I expect highly enlightening incredible things.
    Like stories about Daniel talking in his sleep or about your escapades with women <3333

    ReplyDelete
  3. you said i can comment on anything, so first off you should know this is my first blog comment ever. feel honored. um, i enjoyed it. ill even read your next one, so, no pressure. ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Commenting! I am glad you are blogging again. I enjoy reading things you write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how you feel Jordan. EXACTLY how you feel. While it has not been as long since I blogged, I can use the same reasons you put forth as to why not. For me, it was definitely the lazy aspect.

    Though reading your thoughts definitely made me want to start blogging again. In fact, I finally bought 'A Brave New World' to read... but of course it's just sitting on my book shelf. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's a comment. Hello from Arizona!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey there dude. that was a awesome blog article.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Hey, I read your blog."

    P.S. "Blog" does kinda sound like onomatopoeia for when you slowly regurgitate like a pound of graham crackers, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete