Monday, August 17, 2009

Ode to Regina Spektor

I've been thinking a lot about Regina Spektor, because I love her, and decided to therefore mention a very neat preview of this film that's been out for a little while now bearing the hip title (500) Days of Summer. [In my mind, that title would fit well for a sequel to 300. But my opinion doesn't matter. I DON'T MATTER!!! ("I matter plenty." - The first person who can name that movie gets a treat!)] The music for the trailer is the song "Us" by Regina. It's not my favorite song by her, but I do like it very much.

As of now, if the speakers on your computer are on and functional, you should be hearing this very song. If you wait around a while, you should also hear other songs that I like very much by this very same talented artist. (I'm trying to increase my use of the word "very," because it's a very, very important word.)

I am a terrible person. In other, less self-deprecating terms, I don't buy music very often (and now secret record-label police are going to hunt me down and stick ice picks into my ears--a fate I admittedly deserve.) I don't download a lot of music, but I do get it, and a lot of it, from friends.

The only reason I'm sharing this crime with you is so that you understand the weight of what I'm about to say.

I BOUGHT Regina Spektors latest album, "Far," for full price, off of Amazon.com. It's important to me that I adequately communicate how much I love and appreciate this wonderful woman and her wonderful music.

This is one of my favorite tracks off "Far." The video's not quite so compelling, but listen to the words. (Also, you might want to pause the music player at the bottom of this page before you hit play. I'm just sayin.)



The song is called "Laughing With," and it so beautifully captures the bredth and depth of human suffering with a simplicity and poignancy that is remarkable. And, somehow, throughout, stays light and happy. There are few songs with so rich a perception of God's personality.

And, to close out my ode to Ms. Spektor, here is a VERY awesome video that you've probably seen before. I show this to the film class I TA every semester. They love it, and so do I.

7 comments:

  1. That is a good video! I've never actually seen it before...

    ReplyDelete
  2. how can anyone not love Regina...ja uzhasno liubliu jejo muziku!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so very very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breach.

    Sorry I am stalking you via lauren. Just..I love Regina.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well KL, you have earned a treat. (I'm actually extremely pleased that you guessed.)

    Quick, Facebook me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the Regina video. Wow. Thank you for introducing me to that.

    Also, what did you think of (500) Days of Summer?

    ReplyDelete