Wednesday, August 5, 2009

CJ7 and the Reformation of a Blog

You probably didn't notice, but that's OK. I forgive you. I'll point it out to you in a minute.

CJ7 is a good movie. In a spasmodic fit of enthusiasm, I gave it five stars on Netflix directly after finishing it. What I'm saying is that it was good, but maybe not, objectively, five-stars good.

But who's being objective? I certainly never am. So, YEAH. It's five-stars good. And I won't say much about it except that it's from China, and it's touching and funny and ridiculous and stupid in all the right ways.

The short: A father finds what turns out to be an alien artifact and gives it to his son. Said artifact turns into a super-high-tech-weird-futuristic toy dog, which delivers a great performance as an overwhelmingly serviceable plot-device.

The skinny: All of the acting was superb, especially from Dicky, played by the 10-yr-old Jiao Xu, who has a far cooler name than I do. The special effects were as good as they needed to be to keep the film entertaining, and the little alien toy dog was way less annoying than it should have been. And near the end, I cried. Everybody's gonna start to think I only review movies that make me cry well it's NOT TRUE! Remember my review of Transformers 2? Neither do I, but I definitely didn't cry during that film. I wanted to (for entirely different reasons) but I didn't.

Anyway.

The thing you probably didn't notice is that my blog changed. Not dramatically, but definitely. And more so in spirit than in style.

This blog will now focus almost exclusively on the making and watching of movies and TV. Which means it will mostly be reviews, but if there are other film-related things I feel like talking about, I won't hold back.

That doesn't mean that I won't talk about other things every once in a while. I might even do so often, but there will now, and this I promise, always be something about movies (or TV) in my posts.

I'm stepping this blog away from politics, for the most part. And from other miscelaneous, non-film-related (but still usually awesome) junk. Things might change down the road, but for now, I'm attempting an exercise in consistency. I decided that it's time for my blog to grow up and become a describable entity.

...now leaving Neverland...

No comments:

Post a Comment