Friday, July 24, 2009

Sixth Month Anticipation

I see most previews before anyone else. All you have to do is watch for them online, but most people aren't nearly as obsessive as I am about it.

When it comes down to it, I'm not sure why I do that. Inevitably, I end up dealing with the pain of anticipation to a much greater degree than most other people. It could easily be considered a form of self-abuse.

Such is life. I'm not going to change any time soon. Instead, I'll try to drag you down with me.

Denzel Washington is wonderful. We all know this. I've either liked or loved pretty much every film in which he's been at all involved.

So how could I not go a little bit nuts when I find out that he's going to be a post-apocolyptic action hero in his next film? In my world, there are few things over which to get more excited. And I hope that your world is at least a little bit like mine.

Here are some facts about the film:

- It is called The Book of Eli.

- It also stars Gary Oldman, who is awesome.

- It was written by Gary Whitta, who apparently has no other writing credits, which is either a very good sign, or a very bad one. It's a good sign if it means that the script was just so good that it didn't matter that he had nothing else in his portfolio. Seriously, his IMDB page has got nothing.

- It's being directed by a pair of brothers--the Hughes--who's only other notable film was From Hell, which received lukewarm ratings.

- You can watch a high-def preview here.

- For those of you too lazy or slow (meaning your Internet connection) to watch it in HD, here's an embedded YouTube trailer:

3 comments:

  1. I read the screenplay - sooooo good.
    I've been waiting for this one for over a year now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently, this was a spec (!) purchased in 2007, hence the lack of credits. Whitta was attached to the Leo DiCaprio Akira remake, but that's apparently dead. He is also the former editor-in-chief of PC Gamer magazine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, yes. Gary Whitta... was EIC for PC Gamer back in the day (which I have subscribed to for the past... 6 years? Yes, I'm a nerd). He also wrote a guest column for awhile after he left. Was roomates with another former EIC of PC Gamer Greg Vederman (my hero). Good stuff. Funny guy, good taste in games.

    ReplyDelete