Saturday, July 18, 2009

A Day Late, and Still Sexy (The Harry Potter Review)

Not me. I'm only sexy when I'm on time.

I didn't see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince on Tuesday night at midnight. I would have, but the 17 showings in my favorite theater were all sold out.

So I went Wednesday at midnight.

It was good. Not as good as the fifth, but good. I was entertained throughout, and there was more and better humor from start to finish in this one, which was wholly unexpected. Harry Potter humor is only occasionally funny in my experience, but somehow, in the sixth installment, they hit it almost every time.

The acting was, of course, phenomenal. That's due mainly to the cast. Virtually every major British actor has made an appearance in these movies, and it shows. The collection of talent is immense. And each of the "child" actors are improving remarkably. Even Daniel Radcliffe was marginally less annoying this time around, which is saying a lot. As an aside, I don't believe he's an actor that will go very far beyond this franchise. That's my prediction--we'll see what it's worth in five or ten years.

Here's a fascinating addendum: Draco Malfoy has become, in my sophisticated opinion, a more sympathetic, dynamic character than Harry Potter himself (that, on the other hand, isn 't saying much at all). Tom Felton has given the character the very complexity, depth, and inner turmoil that Harry Potter's character frustratingly lacks. I would never want to work with Radcliffe, but if I was in the position to do so, I would cast Tom Felton in significant roles in the future and expect (and get) great things.

All that said, the film is slow. Not unbearably, or unredeemably, but very definitely slow. I'm certain the film could have been thirty minutes shorter and remained virtually unchanged. But this is what I think happened: Half Blood Prince was beautiful. It's at least possible that the filmmakers couldn't bear to cut more out than they did. In fact, you got that feeling. This shot could have been shorter, but look how pretty it is! We can't let go of it and move on quick enough. So the dialog scenes drag. The moments of contemplation stretch. The problem isn't terribly uncommon, but it is a little frustrating. When you start a movie at midnight, you prefer to get home before 3am. And you should never stop to wonder halfway through when it is eventually going to end.

But let me reiterate this point--I did really enjoy the film. Go see the new Harry Potter flick. It's worth it.

Or, if you've seen it already, share your thoughts. [That was a plug for comments]

7 comments:

  1. I have to agree with your review. My first impression was that it didn't really "capture the magic" for me this time. A good movie for me usually has me thinking about it for a day or two afterwords due to an interesting plot with ideas about what it would be like to be a wizard. There was good acting but the story line was dragging. Almost, but not as bad as twilight with a lot of silence and close ups to catch the drama.
    I felt like the movie concept was to build up the final one. Overall, a good movie but I would have rather waited to rent it than to pay the 8.50 to go watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Especially our paragraph about Draco/Tom Felton. In the books, Draco was my favorite character from the beginning. Even when he was the annoying 11 year old arch-nemesis of an equally annoying 11 year old hero. You could always tell there was a depth to his character that JK wasn't touting. Tom Felton delivers that, beautifully. He's an actor of the eyes and that's what Draco needs.

    (Granted, Harry has always needed that and as you pointed out Radcliffe has never really delivered. Makes me cry.... but I'll live.)

    The movie was really slow. I went to see it Wednesday morning at 8:30 (I know, right?). But, actually, I'm glad of that. If I'd gone to see it at midnight, the draggy-ness of it would have annoyed me more than it did.

    I'm interested to see your predictions and reviews of the 7th movie(s). How do you think they'll split it? And will it work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rather enjoyed the film as well. I really like how they did Quidditch--this time around it was actually cool and made sense. I didn't find it slow, however. It seemed just about the right length. But then again, I am a fan of the deliberate, lingering shots in movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I will see this one soon. That was one of the best movie reviews I have read in a while Cousin. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dave - despite the fact that I didn't see "Twilight," I'm totally certain that HP was exactly two hundred and seventy five thousand times better. So please, be more careful with your comparisons.

    Ness - You and I agree about most things, so I'm unsurprised. But pleased regardless.

    Rich - I am also a fan of deliberate, lingering shots, but only when they're necessary and/or enhance the film in some way.

    Miss Monkey - You're so sweet. That's why you're my favorite cousin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your review here, and I agree with most of it. I do think it was mainly setting things up for the last two films, but for me, that's the way the sixth book was as well. Also, half the fun for me was the communal experience of being there at midnight with twenty of my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked HP. They changed a lot from the book-- added some things (what the... burning down the Burrow?) and took out some things (uh... what happened to the big battle between the Death Eaters and the students/teachers/Order??) but all in all, enjoyable. I have to be forgiving when comparing the two. In fact, to enjoy the movies at all I have to go to them without expectations. I stay away from the book and avoid the movie clips. I'm such a nerd.

    ReplyDelete