Monday, May 18, 2009

Congrats, Gov'na

You may have heard that Utah Governor Huntsman has been chosen by Obama to be the new ambassador to China.

I have little time and several thoughts.

First of all, I don't know a lot about Huntsman, but I've heard he's not a bad guy, and a pretty good governor. He might be a little left of where I consider myself to be, but I digress. He's also Mormon, which, naturally, I find palatable.

There are also rumors aplenty that he was set to be the strongest GOP (Grand Old Party, or Republican) candidate for the 2012 presidential run.

Anyway, read this article first. It backs up my first impression, which was that Obama picked him to knock out one of his most dangerous opponents when it comes time to run for reelection. It also makes him look bipartisan--you see, conservatives are supposed to now say, "Oh goody, our dear President has picked one of us for an important position." I'm not buying that angle. But you can decide for yourself...

...after you read this article as well. Some really good thoughts on all this. Regardless of what conclusion you reach about any of it, it's an extremely important development, both politically and internationally.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm
    This may be the first time I disagree with you. But that's because my mother, who grew up two blocks away from him, can't stand him.
    I hope that for the sake of the church's name, at least, he does this new job well.

    ReplyDelete