Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Furious, Horrified, and Saddened

In case you haven't heard, the Supreme Court ruled today that the death penalty is unconstitutional in cases of child rape.

I'm trying to picture a conversation between Thomas Jefferson and Justice Anthony Kennedy. Let's just assume that Mr. Kennedy holds fast to his views and says all the same things to Jefferson in such a meeting. I can't imagine that meeting ending without Anthony lying broken and bleeding on the ground.

Since when did the rape of a child under the age of 12 leave its position as one of the most despicable, unforgivable crimes in the minds of EVERY SINGLE RESPECTABLE PERSON in this country? Isn't this America? Don't we bloody our hands in the defense of the rights of those who are unable to defend themselves?

Maybe I'm being unreasonable. Eight-year-old kids ought to be able to stick up for themselves and say, "No!" when a full grown man decides to do the unthinkable.

Or maybe, if that fails for the child, we should have a vote. You see, I have this rock in my hand, and I, along with the vast, vast majority of my fellow Americans, am without this particular sin. Really, I don't mind if I don't get to be the first, just as long as a big, heavy stone does get thrown, and just as long as it hits its mark.

God save America? With legislation like this, the prospect is becoming far less likely.


2 comments:

  1. The ruling threw me for a loop. While I doubt the death penalty to be a major deterrent in such cases, I do not believe that it could not have been a deterrent for SOME of the population. And because it could have derailed some people from such actions it was worth keeping on the books.
    I also think the death penalty is fair punishment for child rape.

    ReplyDelete