Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Tribute to Kristin Pennock

Who is now probably very embarrassed.

Too bad.

Don't worry, Kristin, this is also very much a tribute to friendship in general.

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of running into an old(ish) friend. It had been at least several months since we'd had a real conversation, and MUCH longer since we really talked. What was going to be a mutual update spanning a handful of minutes turned into a two hour conversation in the Tanner building (a very awesome place in its own right, if you don't know).

Prudence dictates that I refrain from describing the details of the conversation, but it should be enough to say I am overwhelmed by how important specific people can turn out to be at certain times of life. Walking away from that building, off to play catchup on the things I had let slide for the couple of hours I had disconnected from the harshness of my typical pace, I remembered that this person has since had the ability to tell me exactly what I need to hear the moment I need to hear it. And I think that's pretty outstanding. And affirming.

So allow me to here reiterate one of my favorite personal philosophies--everyone is in your life for a reason. Good friendships aren't formed by any kind of chance or coincidence. I've seen over and over that each of the people I've grown to care about has met a specific end in my life that no one else could meet. And I know that I've been able to fill the same role for them.

We don't hang out, Kristin and I. Our lives are vastly different, and our paths don't cross very often. But I'm going to go ahead and say that running into each other yesterday was an event catalyzed by something divine.

So thanks, Kristin, for being quite wonderful. And thanks, God, for using the people I know to effectively help me along in this monumentally difficult process of living.

4 comments:

  1. This is so true.

    People make me happier than anything else in this life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well put, Jordan.
    Very sincere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a different Kristin PennockMay 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM

    So, I stumbled across this because I got bored and googled my name, which happens to be Kristin Pennock. I proceeded to read this entry, like a creeper. Regardless, I absolutely agree that nothing happens by accident. You can call it whatever you want, but everything is exactly as it should be, part of God's plan.

    ReplyDelete